What is an UNHEALTHY Relationship?
- One that involves ANY kind of physical, emotional, verbal or psychological abuse.
- One that includes ANY kind of forced sexual activity.
- You focus all of your time and energy on your partner and neglect yourself.
- Your partner wants you to change to meet his or her standards.
- You have to justify what you do, where you go, and who you see.
- One of you makes all the decisions and controls everything.
- You lie to one another.
- You always make excuses for your partner.
- You have NO personal space.
- You suffer from chronic depression and/or have low self-esteem.
What is a HEALTHY Relationship?
- It involves absolutely NO physical, verbal, emotional or psychologial abuse.
- Sexual activity between you and your partner is ALWAYS consensual.
- Even if you disagree or have a fight, you always treat each other with RESPECT.
- Your partner supports you through tough times no matter what.
- You TRUST each other to do what’s right for the other person.
- You are HONEST with each other.
- You’re both cool with having your own activities and friends separate from each other.
- You can be OPEN and DIRECT without fear of retaliation or manipulation.
(from Healthy Relationships by Maryland Coalition Against Sexual Assault)
15 Signs of a Healthy Relationship:
- He/she is sensitive to my feelings.
- He/she respects my opinions and my values.
- I feeel that he/she trusts me.
- He/she is not overly jealous or possessive.
- He/she accepts me for who I am and doesn’t try to change me.
- He/she treats me as an equal.
- He/she is willing to discuss our problems and disagreements.
- He/she does not try to control my life.
- He/she does not embarrass me or put me down in front of others.
- It’s okay with him/her when I spend time with my other friends.
- I am not afraid of his/her temper.
- I can easily tell him/her when my feelings are hurt.
- He/she does not criticize how I look or how I dress.
- He/she never talks about me behind my back.
- He/she listens to me and tries to understand my point of view.